Participate in web conferences
Students participate in a 60-70 minute web conference per week—for a duration of 12 weeks.
Three 12-week rounds run across the 2020 school year.
3 February to 8 May
Term 1 Week 2 to Term 2 Week 3
18 May to 21 AugustTerm 2 Week 5 to Term 3 Week 6
24 August to 27 NovemberTerm 3 Week 7 to Term 4 Week 8
Note: Our Digital Technologies and Design and Technologies subjects run for a full semester. See individual subject pages under the STEM Series for details.
We negotiate the timetable with you
- We ask you to nominate 2–3 preferences for session times for each group. We can generally accommodate one of your preferences.
- We then allocate one of our specialist teachers to work with your students each week.
- Our specialist teacher logs in to work directly with your students and staff.
Students form an online group
- 14–15 students login together each week as an online group.
- Your school can register
one or more groups to participate in a program.
- Schools with sufficient bandwidth often run 2 groups at the same time i.e. 2 groups of 14–15 students = a whole class of 28–30 students. We provide 2 online teachers in this case.
- Band 5–8 primary schools can enrol individual students, or part/half groups—in this case we coordinate groups with students from multiple schools.
- Each student must work at their own computer (PC or laptop) with reliable internet access.
- Each student
must wear a headset with microphone to successfully participate. You must purchase this equipment if it is not already available (approximately $30-$50 per unit).
Supervision/coordination required—including professional development opportunity
- We highly recommend that you provide a
Web Conference Supervisor.
Web Conference Supervisor should login alongside your students, collaborate with our specialist teachers and transfer their increasing knowledge and skills to their teaching and leadership practices.
- Your school also needs to appoint a
Project Coordinator to nominate preferred session times, lead student selection and submit your student registration details.
24/7 activities—for reinforcement and extension
- Students, parents, web conference supervisors and other enrolled staff can access additional learning activities and resources at any time via The Learning Place website.
- Involvement in these additional activities is not compulsory, but is highly recommended as they help your students reinforce and extend their learning. They can be done in school, at home or elsewhere.